When creating video content about your institution, using the people who are a part of it to tell the story, is a great way to ensure viewers connect with it. It can however feel like a risk, resting all of the messaging you want to be delivered, on the shoulders of a few individuals. That’s why, often, you’ll hire an agency to oversee the process; coming up with storyboards, writing scripts, filming, producing, directing and editing the film – ensuring that from start to finish, your story is being told just so.
Using real people to tell the story, is a great way to ensure viewers connect.
That’s why, often, you’ll hire an agency to oversee the process; coming up with storyboards, writing scripts, filming, producing, directing and editing the film – ensuring that from start to finish, your story is being told just so.
Taking this approach impacts the story in a number of ways:
- It allows you to gather more diverse voices, as you are not limited to the number of people who can participate.
- It opens up the world. Where a crew can only visit a select number of locations in a day, your contributor can go wherever they like to show their perspective; their home, their work, their commute, their favourite place for lunch – anywhere they think adds to their story.
- Many people are used to creating their own content on their phones, meaning contributors may feel more comfortable recording themselves in this way rather than in a more formal, traditional filming setting.
- Contributors are able to add their own character and creativity to every element of their content.
- In terms of budget, you’re not restricted to the value you can get out of a set number of shoot days. Your contributor can collect footage over several days, at any time of the day.
Empower your students to make content
While relinquishing control to your contributors may feel strange, throughout the process you can still oversee what is being filmed through proposed shot lists, suggesting topics to cover when they speak to camera, and ideas for additional footage to pick up.
Every university has its own story to tell, and every person there has their own unique perspective. Telling stories that encompass those different points of view leads to a fuller narrative, filled with nuance that may have been missed through traditional means, which will give the real story – rather than the one you scripted.
Want to create more effective and engaging video for your institution?
At h10 agency, we specialise in creating video content for higher education marketing. This ranges from higher end promo videos, through to user-gen and social.
Click here to find out more about our unique h10 studio smartphone filming application, designed specifically to create controlled and quality UGC video content. You can also check our more of our work here.